My name is John Armstrong and I am a fully qualified and experienced teacher of A Level Mathematics and Further Mathematics as well as university entrance exams. I have also been tutoring on a one-to-one and small group basis for many years. My teaching experience is mainly in Sixth Form Colleges teaching A Level Maths, Further Maths and preparing students for entrance exams such as STEP, MAT, TMUA among others.
My Teaching Approach and Philosophy
High grades come with hard work. In all my teaching experience, it is the students that put the most work in that get the best grades. It is my job to help you thoroughly understand the material and give you the knowledge, confidence and, of course, the learning resources in order to put in that hard work. I help you to uncover which areas need work and will guide you through how much work you should do in each area. The key to success is to practise, practise, practise!
My Academic Background
I am a fully qualified teacher of mathematics holding a PGCE and Qualified Teaching Status in the UK. My undergrad degree is in Mathematics and Computer Science and I hold a Master’s degree in Applied Mathematics in which I was awarded a “distinction” grade.
The lessons take place over online conferencing software (I prefer Zoom but any other preference will be catered for). Via a mixture of an online audio link and some sophisticated but easy to use whiteboard software, the experience is as if I am sat alongside the student, making the lessons just as engaging at a face-to-face tuition.
Myth #1: Online tuition is less interactive than face-to-face tuition
- This is simply not true. With recent advances in tablet technology, online tuition has become as effective as face-to-face tuition. There are many different whiteboard software packages available for free which both student and tutor can write on at the same time, making instant feedback and checking of methods/answers as easy as if the tutor and student were in the same room.
Myth #2: You need expensive equipment to be able to access online tuition
- Simply not true. Whilst a tablet PC with a stylus enhances the experience, it really depends on how much you want to spend. There are a number of affordable technologies out there that are ideal for helping students get the most out of online lessons that cost no more than the technology they already own. I will give an in depth insight into such technologies further down the page.
Technological Requirements for Online Tuition
To get the most out of online lessons, it works best if a student owns a tablet PC with a stylus. This could take the form of any one of the following:
- A windows tablet PC with a stylus such as a Microsoft Surface or HP Envy. These range in price starting from about £350;
- An iPad with an apple pencil. These range in price depending on power/screen size and start at around £300.
- A phone clamp/stand that clamps a camera phone to the table so it can be positioned above a piece of paper therefore allowing us to both see what each other are writing. These cost £10-20.
The advantage of making such a purchase is that these technologies can be used throughout sixth form and then at university for note-taking, eliminating the need to carry reams of paper around and hence decreasing the likelihood of notes getting lost or ending up crumpled in a heap at the bottom of a bag. At A Level and beyond, organisation is the key to success!
My fee is £60 per hour-long session. This rate reflects my qualifications, experience and the quality resources that students are given access to when being taught by me.
For this price you will receive:
- An hour of one-to-one tuition from me, John Armstrong, the creator of ALevelMathsRevision.com, an experienced teacher of A Level Maths and Further Maths with exam board marking experience;
- Expert advice on exam technique and how to “target the marks” in an exam situation on a topic-by-topic basis;
- Tailor-made resources to complete as homework that complement the learning process and further embed the newly learnt material.
If you want to book a lesson or are unsure about whether one-to-one tuition is for you, please get in touch below for an online demonstration of how effective one-to-one tuition can be.
For an initial chat or to arrange a taster session to see whether online 1:1 tuition is for you, please fill out the following form, giving all relevant details. I will respond via your preferred contact method as soon as possible.